Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A Road in the Dark

It was dark.

It was early in the morning.

I couldnt see very well through sleep deprived eyes.

Four o'clock in the morning, we get a fire call for a grass fire in the south west part of the county.

The best way to get there is to go down the interstate heading west, exit a certain off ramp, then take the south service road until you get to a certain county road. Take it south.

I am driving the pumper/tanker.

I get to my exit and make it without incident.

Now, where is my turn off? I cant remember how far down it is. I know at least several blocks, but exactly how far?

There is the DPS office, ok, a little bit further.

I see a sign! That must be it!

As I am entering the turn, I read "S Allin". Allen? Where did that street come from? But I am commited to the turn and keep going.

Do I pull over and look at the map? Where does this road go? Does it connect with the one I am needing?

These questions run through my mind as I try to decide what to do.
Then I see red flashing lights moving across my road off in the distance.
Ok, I'm alright. I can see the grass fire off to the right, and that fire truck just crossed my path. I can get there from Allen road.

The Chief calls me on the radio. "Did you see any other fires on Stallings Road?"

Stallings?

"Negative, I came in on South Allen."

He replied that he understood. Was that laughter I heard in the background?

I get to the fire without incident and we use the pumper/tanker for a water supply. Soon, they have the twenty acre fire put out and we gather around pumper.

That's when it hits me. S Allen is really Stallings Road with the 't' and the 'gs' worn off!

I had taken the right road after all!

Now, to live this one down will be a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment