Monday, April 13, 2009

Woman At the Races

Our fire department was not the first to allow women in its ranks.

And there were a couple of women in our department before I joined up.

So, as far as being progressive in that area, we are about average. HCVFD is progressive in many other areas, to be sure. Especially in putting out hydrocarbon fires.

Not long after I joined up, we went to a fire convention. They called it "pumper races". Being green, I had visions of fire trucks racing around a track. Far from it!

The "pumper races" are events that firefighters compete pulling hose, making connections and racing the water. They are very fun to participate in and watch.

Before the races, there is a meeting of the State Firefighters Fire Marshalls convention. It was interesting to see how this type of organization was ran.

After the meeting, there are door prizes. I won a large bag of peanuts.

Jerry said "You got some goobers!"

My reply? "What are goobers?"

You guessed it! My first nickname became "Goober"!

Then came time for the races. Chief had me watch what went on and gave me the easiest place on the team. After the starting gun goes off, I was to jump out of the cab of the fire truck, grab the hydrant wrench, run to the fire plug and when they had the hose hooked up, turn on the water. I was a little nervous and paced a little. What if I messed up?

Suddenly, they called a meeting of the race captains. My chief went over to see what was going on. They didnt want me to race. I was a woman. This was the men's race. I should be on the Ladies Auxillary races. The race captain and our chief quickly informed them that I was a firefighter, and we didnt have a Ladies Auxillary! After several long minutes, the others finally agreed to let me run.

We didnt win anything, but it was a lot of fun!

I have been to the races many times after that, and usually dont have any problems. Once in a while, the men at the door of the business meeting wont give me a door prize ticket. Because the ladies have their own door prizes in their meetings. I have to argue a little, but not too much.

Just last March, the races were held at the same town I went to the first time. The one that had such a hard time with women racing on the men's teams. I had to argue more than a little to be allowed in the meeting, let alone get a door prize ticket!

I suppose they didnt learn anything from the last time.

No comments:

Post a Comment